We have started this new series of articles on “Best PG Branches after MBBS” to review various PG branches with respect to pros the and cons. This makes it easier for you to make a decision of choosing the best PG branch. Radiology after MBBS has been one of the top most in demand PG branch. Why do top ranking students choose Radiology? Below are few pros and cons of radiology as a branch which will let you decide if Radiology is a right match for you.
Pros of choosing Radiology after MBBS
- Early settlement
- Fixed working hours
- Structured life
- Always surrounded by technology
- Intellectually challenging as it transcends all specialties
- No hassles of patient interaction
- Can also specialize in Interventional radiology if you love patient interaction.
- You have an option to work from home
Cons of choosing Radiology after MBBS
- Pay is almost fixed
- Very high investment if you are looking to start your own setup
- Long hours of sitting, can cause recurrent back and neck pains
- Long hours of screen exposure
- Too much to read daily
- You need to be good with computers
- Needs a very good rank
Earning potential and Prospects of Radiology- India and Abroad (Corporate Setups)
In Government setups, though the pay scales can be quite low in some states but in corporate setups the salaries are good.
India: 30–50 lakhs/year
Dubai/Qatar/Saudi Arabia: 100–150 lakhs/year
Give FRCR and migrate to UK, Australia, Canada, with salaries ranging from 70–150 lakhs/year
Give USMLE and go to USA for 4 year fellowships and then pursue a career in Radiology there. A US Radiologist makes between 300000–400000 dollars/year.
Check out other articles on choosing “Best PG Branches after MBBS” in this series (All these links may not be working as the some of these articles are still in progress):
- General Surgery
- General Medicine
- Obs Gynae
- TB and Chest Medicine