|Can Gas cause Headaches?|
Can Gas cause headache? Here is a common rather funny query by patients which makes us smile often. There is no logical explanation on how abdominal gas will reach the brain to cause headaches?
And you would be surprised that this is a very common query being searched on Google every day.
Have explored the evidence related to it in this brief blog. Your views and comments are welcome.
If you go through the searches people do on google related to headaches, one very intriguing query that will make you wonder why people have been searching for a correlation between Abdominal Gas and Headaches.
Is there really a correlation or is it just a piece of misinformation prevalent in the community? Or is it being spread by alternative medicine practitioners carried on with traditional teachings without any scientific evidence?
Below are the common related keyword searches and the search volumes in India (Source: Ubersuggest):
- Does gas cause headache – 320 searches per month
- can gas cause headache – 590 searches per month
- can gas cause headaches – 260 searches per month
- can gas cause headaches and dizziness – 90 searches per month
- does stomach gas cause headache – 30 searches per month
- can gas problem cause headache
- why gas causes headache
- is gas cause headache
- will gas cause headache
- headache due to gas during pregnancy
- how does stomach gas cause headache
- does gas in stomach cause headache
- does acidity and gas cause headache
- can gas cause a headache
- do gas cause headaches
- does gas problems cause headaches
- headache and vomiting due to gas
- how does gas cause headache
- can acidity cause headache and vomiting
- does gas give you headaches
- does natural gas cause headaches
- does gas cause migraines
- can gas cause head pain
- gas causing headache remedy
What is the direct answer to this question- Can Gas cause Headache?
Gastrointestinal Disorders associated with Headaches
- gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
- functional abdominal pain
- inflammatory bowel disorders (IBD)
- celiac disease
- helicobacter pylori (H. Pylori) infection.
Autonomic Aura as a Precursor of Migraine
|Different Phases of Migraine and Associated Symptoms (Andreou, A.P., Edvinsson, L. Mechanisms of migraine as a chronic evolutive condition. J Headache Pain 20, 117 (2019). https://doi.org/10.1186/s10194-019-1066-0)|
Lifestyle or Dietary Factor Leading to Headaches
- Not eating on time leading to hypoglycemia
- Lack of sleep
- Having foods that are known to stimulate an attack of migraines: Dark Chocolate, Cheese, Chinese food, Canned meat, and Alcohol.
Pathways for Headaches in GI disorders
- central sensitization and parasympathetic referred pain
- serotonin pathways
- autonomic nervous system dysfunction
- systemic vasculopathy
- food allergy.