What is Retzius Space?
- Also called Retropubic space, Prevesical space or cave of Retzius
- It is an extraperitoneal space located posterior to the pubic symphysis and anterior to the urinary bladder
- It is a loose space with allows the bladder to fill and empty.
- It is separated from the anterior abdominal wall by the transversalis fascia and extends to the level of the umbilicus
What is Bogros Space?
- Also called retroinguinal space or Bogros’ space
- It is an extraperitoneal space situated deep to the inguinal ligament
- It’s limited by the fascia transversalis anteriorly, the peritoneum posteriorly and the iliac fascia laterally
- This preperitoneal space communicates with prevesical space of Retzius.
- It is divided into two compartments.
- The medial compartment contains vasculature including the femoral artery and vein.
- The lateral compartment allows for passage of the illiopsoas (primary hip flexor), allowing attachment to the femur, along with the femoral nerve.
Here is a video showing dissection of the bogros space: